Student renting / renting a home

student renting, students houses, shared student house, student accommodation, graduate house, freshman house, students, student village

Student renting – renting a home

Living in your rented home – Student houses, This section is dedicated to students who are looking for information regarding their student accommodation and what is involved when looking for and renting a property. call our head office on 01252 854423 for more information.

Student Renting / Living in your rented home


The tenant must…

  • Pay the rent on time. If you don’t, you could lose your home because you have broken your tenancy agreement. If you have problems, GOV.UK has links to further advice. Check out these practical steps for paying your rent on time.
  • Pay any other bills that you are responsible for on time, such as council tax, gas, electricity and water bills. If you pay the gas or electricity bills, you can choose your own energy supplier.
  • Look after the property. Get your landlord’s permission before attempting repairs or decorating. It’s worth getting contents insurance to cover your possessions too, because the landlord’s insurance won’t cover your things.
  • Be considerate to the neighbours. You could be evicted for anti-social behaviour if you aren’t.
  • Not take in a lodger or sub-let without checking whether you need permission from your landlord.

And also you, the tenant, should…

  • Make sure you know how to operate the boiler and other appliances and know where the stopcock, fuse box and any meters are located.
  • Regularly test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors – at least once a month.
  • Report any need for repairs to your landlord/agent. There will be a risk to your deposit if a minor repair turns into a major problem because you did not report it.
  • And don’t forget to register to vote.

The landlord must…

  • Maintain the structure and exterior of the property.
  • Fit smoke alarms on every floor and carbon monoxide alarms in rooms with appliances using solid fuels – such as coal and wood – and make sure they are working at the start of your tenancy. If they are not there, ask your landlord to install them.
  • Deal with any problems with the water, electricity and gas supply.
  • Maintain any appliances and furniture they have supplied.
  • Carry out most repairs. If something is not working, report it to your landlord or agent as soon as you can.
  • Arrange an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe engineer (where there are any gas appliances).
  • Get a licence for the property if it is a licensable property.

And also the landlord should…

  • Insure the building to cover the costs of any damage from flood or fire.


Forgotten Password?