Student houses / Assured shorthold tenancy

students houses, shared student house, student accommodation, graduate house, freshman house, students, student village

Student houses – Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Student houses – Assured Shorthold Tenancy, This section is dedicated to students who are looking for information regarding their student accommodation and what is involved when looking for and renting a property. call our head office on 01252 854423 for more information.

Student Houses / Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement

1. Assured shorthold tenancies

When you enter an assured shorthold tenancy – the most common type – you are entering into a contractual arrangement.

This gives you some important rights but also some responsibilities.

Take your time to read documents and contracts carefully. When you rent a home, people sometimes expect you to make a quick decision, or to sign documents before you’ve had time to think about them.

You shouldn’t feel forced into a decision and it is important to understand the terms and conditions of any contract you are entering into.

2. Check the paperwork

  • Tenancy Agreement. Make sure you have a written tenancy agreement and read it carefully to understand your rights and responsibilities. The landlord or agent usually provides one but you can request to use a different version. The government has published a model tenancy agreement that can be used. If you have any concerns about the agreement, seek advice before you sign.
  • Inventory. Agree an inventory (or check‑in report) with your landlord and, as an extra safeguard, make sure that you take photos. This will make things easier if there is a dispute about the deposit at the end of the tenancy. If you are happy with the inventory, sign it and keep a copy.
  • Meter Readings. Remember to take meter readings when you move in. This will help make sure you don’t pay for the previous tenant’s bills.
  • Contact details. Make sure that you have the correct contact details for the landlord or agent, including a telephone number you can use in case of an emergency. You are legally entitled to know the name and address of your landlord.

3. The landlord/agent must provide you with:

  • A copy of the guide ‘How to rent: the checklist for renting in England’ as a printed copy or, if you agree, via email as a PDF attachment. (Eastwoods send this with the Assured shorthold tenancy agreement and is signed for by the tenant digitally).
  • A gas safety certificate. The landlord must provide one at the start of the tenancy and within 28 days of each annual gas safety check, if there is a gas installation. (Eastwoods send this with the Assured shorthold tenancy agreement and is signed for by the tenant digitally).
  • Deposit paperwork. If you have provided a deposit, the landlord must protect it in a government approved scheme within 30 days.
  • The Energy Performance Certificate. This will affect your energy bills and the landlord must provide one (except for Houses in Multiple Occupation). From April 2018 private rented priorities will need to achieve a minimum EPC band ‘E’ rating before they can be let (subject to exemptions). (Eastwoods send this with the Assured shorthold tenancy agreement and is signed for by the tenant digitally).


Forgotten Password?